Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Free and easy down the road I go

Camping is defined as to live temporarily in a camp or outdoors. Why am I defining camping? Because it's a favorite past time of mine. My camping experience has evolved from tent camping to something bigger and much more involved and ultimately more comfortable and fun.

As a child, my family only went camping once and it wasn't the most pleasant of experiences. Dad had purchased an old army style canvas tent and decided to take the whole family camping at Cave Mt Lake near Roanoke VA. I don't remember much about the trip except that I got to sleep on on of those horrible mesh webbing folding lawn chairs. I also remember Dad getting us all up in the middle of the night in the pouring rain to come home. That was the extent of my camping experience until I entered my 20's.

In my 20's I camped out of tents, off of motorcyles and even out of a van that had been converted into a camper. I took to camping like I had been born doing it. In those days all I need was the bare essentials, a cast iron skillet, dutch oven, cooler of food/beer, snacks, matches and the top rack of the oven. We'd build a rock fire ring, build a fire and I'd cook up a storm. Nothing fancy mind you but we ate well. I didn't need much in the way of clothing either, everything I needed would fit into a small duffle bag that could be strapped on the back of bike. Ahhh how things have changed.

When you're young your body seems to accept the punishment sleeping on the ground dishes out. No matter how much you groomed the ground before setting up the tent, come time to get into your sleeping bag for the night and bingo, there was a rock or stick that had surfaced mysteriously right where you wanted to sleep. Of course no matter how you tried to manuver around the offending rock/stick, it would follow you. Not anymore..........I no longer sleep on the ground, nor do I use a sleeping bag. As I said when I started this post, camping has evolved for me to a more comfortable experience.

In 2000 I upgraded from the tent/sleeping bag and air mattress that was constantly deflating to a popup camper. I came out to Colorado to spend a week in the Rockies camping with Jonathan. He had rented a popup camper for us to use. This was luxury!! There was a kitchen sink, small fridge, stove that could be used indoors or out and a bed with a mattress. No more sitting huddled in a tent a night. Nope I had moved up in the world. In fact we enjoyed the popup so much that a couple years later we purchased one similar to one in the picture.




























We used it for several years and then Murphy, our 110 # Bulloxer came into our lives. We took him camping and quickly discovered that our little house on wheels was no longer big enough for us.

This was ampified this spring when along with Murphy, our newest family member,Bugs a 75# boxer/great dane mix joined us in the popup for a weekends camping. This wonderful camper had now become extremely cramped quarters.

Aside from the popup becoming to cramped, we no longer wanted to deal with attempting to pack everything inside, lower the top, stuff in the canvas and then stuff more equipment inside to pack up and go and then reverse it all to unpack and set up. I'm the sort of person who when a task is started doesn't want to stop until that task is completed. This includes setting up/breaking camp. Jonathan on the other hand is a stop and start sort of person. Unload a few things, take a break, visit with camp mates, sit around and then go back and do some more setup. Not my style at all and we argued a lot about this.

After the weekend trip with both dogs, Jonathan started looking for a RV. We had talked about them before but I wasn't really sold on it. Jonathan started checking Craigs List and found a Toyota Granvilee RV. I still wasn't completely sold on the idea but he had to have it and so we came how with a RV we dubbed Nellie. I will admit this opened up a whole new world of camping. This thing had an indoor bathroom/shower combo, a stove and oven, fridge/freezer combo along with a pantry and lots of storage. Once I got everything stowed away in the RV, going camping was easy and fun even if really slow. Nellie was only a 4 cylinder engine and as such would only go the pace of snail up steep hills. I laughingly referred to Nellie as the "low rent" RV. She was better than the popup camper but just barely. We took the dogs and off we went camping 3 times before the week long trip.

The first trip was to a really secluded spot near Woodland Park. It was perfect for us and the dogs although getting there was a bit iffy. At one point we were going up a hill at about 5 mph and I truly though the dogs and I would have to get out and meet Jonathan at the top. Poor Betsy had no power at all. She was sure and steady but slow. We had the most spectacular view of Pikes Peak and the dogs could run loose unlike at the Lone Duck Camp Ground. We spent two nights at this spot and decided it was a keeper as far as camping spots were concerned. We went back twice during the summers. I can't decide who loved it more us or the dogs.


The other nice thing about this camper was the fact there was enough room for us and the dogs, unlike the popup camper. The boys loved laying on the sofa to nap while we traveled down the road or while Jonathan and I played scrabble.


We started making plans to do a 3 week trip to Canada and back. Again I had concerns, would Nellie make it? Was there enough room for Jonathan and I to co-exist inside? I had my doubts but he was gunho so I went along with the planning. We tooke Nellie and the dogs and went to Dragonfest for a week. The dogs were only with us 3 of the 10 days we were there but it was enough to realize that Nellie wasn't big enough for the 4 of us to co-exist comfortably. So after our vacation was over the quest was on for a bigger, faster RV.
My requirements were a RV with seperate sleeping quaters, self contained w/generator, and a larger bathroom. Jonathan wanted something with more power as well as more room. We were leaving our local Walmart one Saturaday and saw a RV with a for sale sign on it. On a whim we went and looked at it. Low it had two bunks, an over the cab queeen size bed, Nellie only had a double, and was self contained w/generator and micro wave and it wasn't a 4 cylinder, nope this baby was a gas hog,,,,she had an 8 cylinder engine. YOOOHOOO!!!
We called the number and had the owner come show us around. This was quite an improvement over Nellie but I didn't want to get to excited. Jonathan and I went home and discussed this RV and I told him I wanted to sleep on it, even then knowing I had lost the battle. We were going to own this RV if Jonathan had his way. We called the owners to have a 2nd look and to test drive and we came away with another RV.
This RV we named Betsy and she has become Jonathan's baby. I do belive she will be very comfortable to travel across country in. The night we took her out for our maiden camping trip was wonderful. There was room to move around, get dressed, make coffee and not trip over dogs. I'm so looking forward to spring/summer next year, cause "Free and easy down the road we'll go". Camping has just become so much better. I bought a small crock pot, toaster and blender to have in Betsy for those occasions when we are at camp grounds w/electricity. No reason not to have all the comforts of home will traveling around this country. While our trip to Canada is a little over two years away, I can hardly wait. Between now and then there are lots of places to go in CO and there is of course Yellowstone to see.

No comments: